DRS badge
                small
   
Duxford Radio Society


Imperial War Museum, Duxford, England 


Equipment Display and Demonstration
Draft page WIP 24-05-2012

Military Radio Communications, Radar and Navigation equipment is displayed in Buildings 177 and 178

  • Equipment Displays - Building 178 - Static display of various British, German, USA and Russian military electronic equipment on open shelves
  • Equipment Demonstrations - Building  178 - Hands-on working demonstrations of selected items of military equipment
  • Static Equipment displays - Building 177 - Static display behind glass of various German, USA, British and New Zealand military equipment


Building 178 - Equipment Displays - Work-in progress
Building 178 is the main radio display and demonstration room, and during spring 2012 is being completely refitted at the Society's expense (no financial assistance is provided by IWM)

The equipment on display includes items from airborne, naval and land warfare applications.

Equipments are arranged on open rack shelves and, with due care and  correct supervision, may be handled by the public in order to appreciate the physical characteristics of equipment designed for radio communications in military and civil protection and conflict.
.  

Note: the building is only partly equipped in these views
View through the doors of Building
                              178
View of Building 178 looking towards
                              the doors
View through the doors of Building 178
View of Building 178 looking towards the doors


B178 equipment display - left
B178 equipment display shelves -
                              right
Building178 equipment display - left hand side
Building178 equipment display - right hand side

Top of page | Home


Building 178 - Equipment Demonstrations
Building 178 has operating surfaces on which selected items of conserved or restored equipments are available for close visual inspection and/or working demonstration.

Featured below are some of the equipments most readily available.

B178 demonstration equipments view1
Gee System Navigator Training Station
Left: a working 'Command' Radio System from USA B17 and B24 aircraft

Right: British R1155 receiver on it's maintenance swivel stand for visual examination

Below, behind glass, top: Racal BCC-67 Panther-V Special Forces VHF radio circa 2008

Below, behind glass, bottom: TR9D RAF airborne HF TX/RX as used in the Battle of Britain 1940 


Top: A working Gee System Teaching Set Type 30 Navigator ground training station

Bottom, centre and right: R1154/R1155 transmitter/receiver

Bottom, left: H2S radar indicator unit


 


C12
                                & WS62 working on bench

WS C12 and WS62
Wireless Sets No.19, circa 1941 was a system of local and extended control vehicular mobile radio units which were originally designed to provide medium range HF communications,  short range VHF communications and local intercom facilities for the crews of British Army armoured fighting vehicles (AFV). 

Wireless Set No. 62, circa 1945 was a low power HF man-pack or mobile set used by Airborne Troops in the closing stages of World War II in Europe, and also in the Far East. Later it saw service in the Korean War and in other campaigns against local insurgents in the Middle East and Africa.  It remained in production until 1965. 

Wireless Set C12, circa 1955 was used by the British Army in armoured fighting vehicles during the 1950s, 1960s.  It replaced Wireless Sets No. 19 until the Larkspur C13 sets arrived.  


Gee Teaching Set Type 30

Gee Teaching Set Type 30


GEE was a VHF navigation system for aircraft that was evolved by British scientists to meet the needs of the Royal Air Force during World War II to enable them to accurately find their target and return home.

The Gee Teaching Set Type 30 was a fully working ground-based receiving station used for training Navigators how to operate GEE, without the need to fly in an aircraft.  It consisted of an Indicator Unit Type 95, Receiver Unit type R1426 plus Power Unit Type 285 to enable it to run from 240 Volt AC mains.

It would have been used with the matching Gee Navigation Trainer Transmitter Type 48, which is also in the DRS collection.

For more details of standard Gee equipment see the R1355  and Trainer Type 48 items in the "Restoration" section under the heading "Restored Equipment".

 

Top of page | Home


Building 177 - Static Equipment Displays
Building 177 contains static displays, behind glass, of rare German WWII radio equipment, plus radio, navigation and radar equipment of British, New Zealand and USA origins.

Building 177 is a long narrow shape and it is difficult to get back far enough to photograph the equipment bays, hence the limited number of views shown here, and the flash reflections.

Building 177 also contains the working radio station callsign GB2IWM, which is manned when volunteer operators are available.

Upper row

General view of B177 interior
German radio equipment 1
German radio equipment 2
German radio equipment 3
Part of Building 177 displays
Left - German Tbs/24a-32 Teleprinter
Right - German E10L receiver (part of FuG10)

Left - German Fu MB4 Samos receiver
Right - German Torn Eb Df receiver

Left - German SE469A artillery control TX/RX
Right - German Fu HEd UHF intercept receiver


Middle row










Lower row













Top of page | Home




Top of page | Home 
  Imperial War Museum Duxford

V2.00 05-10-2006

modified 24-05-2012